With acupuncture and infertility yoga Lindsay Brin received positive beta pregnancy results. After 4 In-Vitro procedures, a vanishing twin miscarriage, a singleton miscarriage and 2 beautiful births Lindsay was left with extra weight gain caused by fertility meds. But she realized she could only control one thing through the IVF process, and that was her body.
In August 2007 I went through my 3rd IVF. I knew I had the best doctor and it looked like the odds were on my side. But still I could not get over the emotional & physical turmoil of infertility. Why does my sister-in-law hold hands with her husband and get pregnant? Why did we increase my Gonal drug? Why did I fill my bladder too much before ET? How does my husband put up with me right now? Why? Why? Why?
Then I realized I was only in control of one thing, my body. I couldn’t control the situation I was put in but it was time to take control of my attitude, emotional well-being, stress and physical body. Having been a pre/post-natal fitness expert for several years I knew the incredible benefits of exercise and yoga. So why didn’t I apply them through my 1st IVF? Well, I’m not really sure. All I know is I was an emotional wreck, 10 pounds heavier and cranky!
But if you’re like me, by the 2nd IVF I was willing to do anything and everything to improve my chances! I added acupuncture, read Dr. Greene’s book and got back to my daily exercise regime which included yoga. And we did better this time around…but miscarried at 6.5 weeks.
This brings us back to August 2007 when I got the best news ever! Betas 32 @ 11dpo and 130 @ 13 dpo! I believe that was always the plan but again I could only control 1 aspect of the situation: my body.
Yoga is known for stress relief of infertility and increased blood flow to the uterus. So of course it’s beneficial! But if increasing your chances isn’t enough motivation please listen to me when I say feeling better about yourself is the reason you should try it!
Yoga is a series of postures and exercises that promote control of your body, spiritual wellbeing and a connection with your body. You can use safe yoga postures to build strength and flexibility along with relaxation to develop or enhance calmness and confidence.
Here are some known fertility yoga poses.
- Start in butterfly, sitting with bottoms of feet touching and knees bent
- Twisting butterfly, first place your right hand on the outside of your left knee and look over you left shoulder as you twist, switch sides
- Goddess pose, lie on the ground with bottom of feet still touching
- Butterfly rest, from goddess pose pull your feet towards your center, knees still bent in butterfly, look to the right for 5 breathes, look to the left for 5 breathes
- Bridge pose-place feet on the ground about 12-18 inches form buttocks, place hands on the ground at your sides, lift your hips and do a series of pelvic circles
- Savasana-dead corpse pose, lie with feet falling open and hands to your sides, breathe so deeply the back of your rib cage expands into the floor, relax until the point your feel your limbs getting heavy.
Now I am blessed with 3. IVF #4 worked and baby #3 was, well a surprise blessing! And the only thing that kept the swelling away and the energy high is exercise and yoga!
Exercise during In-Vitro-Fertilization (IVF) & Weight Loss before In-Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
If you are undergoing IVF you should get permission from your Reproductive Endocrinologist (RE) to exercise. Leading up to IVF you should be able to use the same exercise regimen you have been using. But after the Egg Retrieval (ER) and/or Embryo Transfer (ET) you will want to lower the intensity of exercise. Once you receive a positive or negative beta results you should be able to begin with Lindsay’s Pregnancy DVD Series.
Weight loss can help fertility. But if you’ve never exercised before and you are undergoing IVF within several weeks you should start with yoga and some interval training (see interval training).